This morning at the breakfast table I looked over at Elizabeth, who was intently studying an upside-down cash register receipt, and I had the thought, “This is like having breakfast with Jesus Christ.” Of course! She’s part of Him, 1 Corinthians 12:27.
1. Elizabeth loves me, enormously.
2. She would lay down her life for me.
3. She intends to speak only the truth to me.
4. She wishes only my good and my happiness, both here and in eternity.
5. To that end, she encourages me to be loving to all, courageous, fair, truthful, righteous, forgiving, self-controlled, — in a word, Christlike; and also, kind to myself;
6. She’s also funny, witty, wise, and endlessly interesting;
7. She’s also delicious to enter the silence of worship with, or the silence of sleep, and no doubt also the silence of eternity, holding hands with me.